Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Good Workout and Fantastic Music

After being out of commission for a month and a half, I am to the point where I can workout on the elliptical and do a tiny bit of jogging. It feels so good to be able to workout again. It's been driving me crazy. I've been extremely restless since I've been home, and being able to workout is definitely helping with the restlessness. And the fact that I have a job. Not really something that I am enjoying as much as I used to, but it gives me an income, so that's a plus. 


I'm not sure if it's just me, or if any of you are like this, but when I run or do the elliptical, or play basketball it's the best way to clear my head. I'm not one of those people who exercises to think about things, I do it to stop thinking about things. It gives me the freedom from all the stressful things in my life. And now that I've finished college and am in the process of looking for a full-time job, the stress couldn't be packing in any more. 


Music is another thing that seems to put my mind at ease. Wether it be rock/alternative, to relieve anger, standards, to calm my nerves, or some jazz/blues, to soothe me. You won't find me sitting there without some sort of music playing in the background. I've been introduced to some amazing music the past couple months, some of which have become some of my faves. Brett Dennen, David Ryan Harris, Erin McCarley, and Cage the Elephant. And then some old favorites with new incredible albums like, Dave Matthews Band, Ray LaMontagne, and Dave Barnes. And then there are those who I just can't get enough of no matter what album it is, Kings of Leon, John Legend, Van Morrison, and Otis Redding. 


The first song on my playlist is from the new Dave Matthews Band album, Why I Am, give it a listen!!!!! You won't be disappointed! 


So, my suggestions for some great summer music for you:

  • Dave Matthews Band: Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
    • Their first studio album in 4 years. It's definitely worth a listen. RIP LeRoi Moore
  • Ray LaMontagne: Gossip in the Grain
  • Cage the Elephant: Cage the Elephant
  • Kings of Leon: Only by the Night
    • My second all-time favorite band, right behind DMB!! Definitely a unique sound. 
  • Brett Dennen: So Much More

"Without music life would be a mistake." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

No comments: