Sunday, March 1, 2009

From the mind of Caroline...

Thoughts and Reflections:


"Life changing experience" is a phrase I haven't used much in my 23 years of existence. But being in England, away from everything and everyone I know has been just that. It has been eye opening in the fact that I CAN depend on myself and not my parents. Sure, it is my parents who are funding this extravaganza, but they aren't here with me when I feel like I need help. I have to deal with the situation myself or ask someone else for help. It has also surprised me that I have no gotten homesick yet. I've been way too busy to even think about getting homesick. I would go home every weekend while I was in Stillwater, mostly because I did not enjoy staying there over the weekends. This experience has also helped me open myself up to others more quickly. If you know me, I know that it took me a while to really warm up to you, and for that I am sorry. It has come to my attention that everyone here thought I hated them when they first met me. And for me, that is something I had not realized. So, I do apologize to those of you who had the same thoughts when we first met. Being thrown into this situation I have become more open around people I don't know. And because of that I have met 8 of the most amazing people that I will be friends with for the rest of my life! These people have changed my life and for that I will be forever grateful. It makes me so happy that our group just clicked. I was extremely worried that not all of us would get along, but turns out we all are getting along extremely well. We do bicker at times, but we all love each other! All 9 of us have even traveled together and it all seemed to work out really well, even though it is a bit rough to travel with 9 people. Our next trip with all of us is going to be next weekend to Stonehenge and Bath. 



I had the most incredible experience today. Emily and I went to church with her cooperating teacher to Abundant Life Church. As I stood in the second row of Abundant Life Church's small sanctuary, signing praise songs, it hit me square in the face that there are times when I feel like I'm not the person that I should be. I don't put God first, when I should and that I don't give him the praise and credit that he deserves. I know that he should be my number one priority, but there are times when I put other things first.  My heart was heavy as I thought about how much I haven't thanked God for everything that he has blessed me with over the past month and a half. He is the reason I'm here in England. He's the reason my parents are able to come visit me at the end of March. He is the reason I get to fulfill my dream of traveling all over Europe. He is the reason for my existence and without him I am nothing. I had not gone to church in over a month and even though it was a Pentecostal church, it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. Vince, the Senior Minister, began talking about forgiveness and I felt his forgiveness for not putting him first. The other thing he talked about was Love. Faith, Hope, and Love, and the greatest of them all is love. The relationships that we have should consist of all three, but that love is the most important. That not only should you love your God with all your heart, but to love your neighbors as your self.  



Now, this is mostly for my father. The fact that it seems that every weekend we go to a different pub, I feel the need to give more of an explanation of what a pub really is. A pub is completely different from an American bar. Sure, people  have drinks, but they're more there for the social interaction more than anything else. It's a great place to hang out with your friends and meet new people.  Listen to great music, and eat fantastic food. The atmosphere is much different than American bars and kids are even allowed in most pubs. 



Cambridge Weekend:

Friday night we went to Tharp Arms Pub for a party for one of the friends of one of the high school teachers. There was a lot of great finger foods and lots of great conversation with a bunch of the high school teachers. I met John "Gilly" Gilmore who is one of the three P.E. teachers at the high school and he is such a great guy! He told me that he would put me on the roster for the softball team so I could travel with them once I get to the high school. So, I'm super pumped about that! Also got to talk to the principal of the high school. He seems like a great guy. The three of us that are at the high school always say good things about him. 


We then went to Daryl Brock's house for the night. He lives in a 400 year old farm house which was AMAZING!!! It has like 8 rooms and 5 bathrooms, a rec room, two living rooms, and a HUGE barn that is attached to the side of the house. There is also a SWEET secret passage way from the bathroom to a whole other side of the house. Saturday morning Daryl and Allen, Joanna's teacher, took us around Cambridge and we went punting. 


King's College

 


Bridge of Sighs

 


Will and I Punting


I would love to hear from you if you have the time. My address is posted on the right side. 

2 comments:

RevApril said...

Miss you.. Just so you know.. I am soo proud of you.. for the ways you are opening yourself to life and to God...

You are loved and prayed for!

Unknown said...

so proud of you. knew you could do it...you just had to figure it out too:) God is using you in amazing ways. know that I love you and miss you so much. ps i heart london...hope we can wander some day...

*twin (the one who gets sports:))