Monday, March 16, 2009

Ireland!!!

My last few days at the Elementary school are this week. I'm a bit sad to leave my kids. Even at times I just want to ring their necks, I love them to death! But, I will be able to see them when Dr. Davis comes for my observation. I will only have been at the high school for two days when he gets here, so he's going to watch me at the elementary school. I got to pick the classes I wanted to teach, so I chose Briggs (2nd grade) and Yancey (3rd grade) or Dorner (Kindergarden). Those are a few of my best classes. I have no idea what I'm going to do if he wants to watch me at the high school. I guess he'll watch me take roll or something. I have no idea. 


In one of my Monday classes I have this "crier" who apparently cries daily. The first day of gymnastics she started crying before she came into the room. I had to try to get her to settle down, which is something I have no had to deal with before. She was like frantic. I asked her why she was crying? It took her about five minutes to get to where she could kind of talk. She told me she was scared. I then asked her what she was scared of. Again, waiting another five minutes. She finally told me she was scared of getting hurt. I had to assure her that she was not going to get hurt and that all the rules we have in the gym are for safety reasons and that I wouldn't let anything happen to her. She finally stopped crying and started getting on the equipment. She was smiling and laughing. Later Teri and I found out that her mom carries her book bag to school, into the building, and up to her classroom for her, EVERY DAY!!!! Seriously, she's in 3rd GRADE!!!! And when her mom is told she has cried in class, her mom just says that they're working on it. I have serious doubts that whatever her mom considers "working on it" is working. Today, when she came in, there was no crying. But, I could tell the pipes were about to bust. So, I did everything in my power to keep her smiling, joking with her, encouraging words. She got onto the equipment and only cried when she fell and hurt her leg. I assured her it was fine and she was alright after that. So, we are making some progress....I hope. 


I've realized that the kids here are not as emotionally mature as the kids are in the states. And it doesn't help that the cut off date here is earlier than in the states, starting kids in Kindergarden a year earlier than they would if they went to school in the states. There is a lot of crying, outbursts, and such. Granted, there are a number of kids with ADD or ADHD, but they just aren't emotionally ready for school like they are in the states. 


 It was our weekly trip this past weekend!!! We thought that because it was Ireland they would be celebrating on the weekend, even though St. Patrick's Day isn't until tomorrow...UH NOT TRUE!!!!! But, we still had fun! We did a LOT of walking, a lot of picture taking, and a bit of pub crawling!!! We did go to the Guinness Storehouse which was awesome and a must see even if you are not a beer drinker. There was a church on just about every corner and you know how I love taking photographs of churches!!!! I really wanted to go to the countryside, but we were only there for about 24 hours. However, we did stay in an amazing hotel with a bathroom that had a bathtub and a shower! lol It was definitely the nicest place we've stayed in so far, all thanks to Will!! He's so great, he has to put up with 6 girls. And he does it without complaining. But, he does have to have his alone time. He is probably one of the funniest guys I've ever met. He has such a dry sense of humor and if you aren't paying attention it will slap you in the face! 


Mom, I've come to find out that my picky eating was just something that I was doing because I was scared and stupid. I've tried so many different things that I normally wouldn't eat at home and I love it! Like beans, canned tomatoes (only if they are in with other food), cabbage, etc.) haha You would be so proud!!! You're little girl is growing up!! I can't wait to see you and dad! We are going to have a blast in London. We are finally going to get that trip to London together, even if we aren't traveling there together. And it's even 100 times better since dad is coming!!!! I miss you both so much! 


Real quick shout outs!!!!

Bana and Papa: I miss you both and your strength gives me strength everyday. Bana, you are the strongest woman I know and I love you so much for that! Papa, keep pushing through, don't be afraid to ask for help. I love you so much!!!


April: Best friend, you better cheer for our boys for the both of us!! I miss your jokes, your laugh, and mostly your encouraging words. Love you!!!! GO DUKE!!!


Allison: Other best friend, I miss seeing you on almost a daily basis. I miss our conversations and our shopping trips!! Miss you and love you!!!!


Shilynn: The laughter that you bring into my life has been transfered here with these people that I'm with, but that in no way means that I still don't need it!!!! Your presence and sense of humor is EXTREMELY missed and I can't wait to get back home to see you!!!! Love you!!!


Everyone else: I miss you all and can't wait to get back to see you! 

No comments: