Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why am I here???

Dr. Hughes will give me a hard time and probably be upset with me, but in all honesty before I started my student teach I was no where near interested in teaching. Considering the fact that teachers get paid not nearly as much as they should, and I just couldn't see myself doing it.  I took as job as a fitness instructor at the MidTown YMCA in OKC in the summer of 2008, doing new member orientations and constructing workout plans for members and fell in love with it. I loved getting the satisfaction that I was helping someone else improve the way they live. I thought that working in the fitness area was my calling. I wanted to forego student teaching and do alternate certification, but decided against it because I had one more certification test to go, so I might as well go ahead and finish up with the physical education degree. When I found out about the international student teaching I didn't think that I would actually get the opportunity to do it. The beginning of the 2008 fall semester it was announced again and I didn't think it would be possible because my parents were getting ready to move into a new home. I mentioned it to my dad and he was the one that encouraged me to apply. He told me that we would find a way for me to do it, if I got accepted. Sure enough, after stressing out about a small interview, I got an e-mail stating that I was accepted. Not going too much in the process of getting here I will just say that if it weren't for my parents I would not be here, experiencing these amazing things, and finding my true calling. 


I put my trust in Him and boy did he deliver. I feel like this, teaching physical education, is what I was always meant to do. I actually enjoy getting up and going to work. Even though it is a bit early. I still have the high school to go to, and I can definitely say I'm scared out of my mind, but there is a part of me that is looking forward to it, after I've started helping coach the high school boys soccer team. As of now I can see myself teaching elementary physical education for the rest of my life. However, that very well can change in three weeks after I've spent some time at the high school. 


Everything in my life lately seems to have fallen into place without my knowledge. As I lay here on the platform of the zipline of the RAF Feltwell playground on a gorgeous Sunday morning I thank God for everything he has given me, everyone he has brought into my life, and the surprises and opportunities that of my future. 


"SEIZE EVERY OPPORTUNITY!!" 

1 comment:

Linda Hicks said...

Your grandparents are right! You're a very good writer ... and a very good thinker! We're very proud of you and can't wait for you to show us "your" England.
Love you,
Mom